Divorce is like a death. You haven't just lost a person, you've lost a life.
My Feelings-- Why does divorce hurt so much? What are some of the feelings and emotions that I am experiencing?
Challenges I am facing in this situation:
- Will I ever feel joy again?
- How do I help my children when I feel so empty myself?
- When will I return to normal?
- It feels as though other people don't understand
- I feel different at church
- I feel lonely and isolated
Risks on the Road to Recovery: BEWARE!!
Your moral value system will be threatened.
There is the risk of yielding to temptations. It is best advised to encourage you to have friendships with those as the same gender as you. It is too risky to start friendships at this vulnerable time with someone of the opposite sex.
Know where to find help. Go to your bishop. Look into counseling. Lean on family and friends and most of all lean on the Lord. He never leaves us and is always there willing to listen.
Beware of the risk of rebound relationships that usually just end in more pain to add to an already painful situation.
Remember that you are never alone. The Lord asks us to come to Him with a broken heart and contrite spirit. This is the perfect time to get to know who you are and build a closer relationship with the Lord.
My stability-- Where am I at in each area?
- Emotional stability--What emotions are coming up? What are my feelings about the losses I am experiencing? Where am I turning for help? Are those healthy places for me to turn?
- Physical stability -- am I taking care of myself? Getting exercise? Eating Healthy? Am I getting enough rest?
- Spiritual stability--what is my relationship with God? Where do I find strength to move forward? Has this taken me further away from God or closer to Him? Am I reading my scriptures daily and saying my prayers daily?
It's important for me to reset my personal expectations and take one day at a time.
What are 3 small steps I can take today to help me through this?
Scriptures that may be helpful:
27 When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
33 But whoso hearkeneth unto me shall dwell safely, and shall be quiet from fear of evil.
2 Nephi 22:2
2 Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid; for the Lord Jehovah is my strength and my song; he also has become my salvation.